Instagram Hashtags Do’s and Don’ts
It feels like Instagram announces a new change every week! But we are here to help keep you in the loop.
Recently Instagram announced new hashtags guidelines on the official Instagram creators account. Here are some of their do’s and don’ts for hashtag use:
- Use hashtags that are relevant to the theme of your content
- Check which hashtags your fans already use and follow
- Mix well-known and niche hashtags to broaden your discoverability
- Use specific hashtags so your fans can easily search for your content. You can even create your own!
- Keep the number of hashtags between 3-5
- Use hashtags that have nothing to do with your content (example: #explorepage)
- Use overly generic hashtags – these will make it harder for people to discover your content due to the volume of other people using the hashtags
- Use too many hashtags – adding 10-20 hashtags will not help you get additional distribution
Remember, the content itself and the way people interact with it will affect distribution more than the hashtag. Think of a hashtag as a tool that provides context about your post and supports delivering content to people who are interested in a particular topic